At MyoFu-An Dojo each person is encouraged to go at their own pace and is fully supported in finding their own way, as opposed to simply mimicking a regimen of mechanical techniques. Finding and expanding your personal limits, developing the ability to choose the most appropriate response for a given situation, and a new found sense of being firmly grounded and in balance are all important goals of the training. As your skills improve, confidence grows and, with it, humility and peace of mind. Whether escaping a violent confrontation or pursuing and attaining your life goals, Budo is first and foremost a state of mind.
Some areas in our program include defense against
* Punching / kicking attacks
* Grappling attacks
* Choke holds and restraints
* Sexual assaults
* Knife attacks
* Stick / club attackers
Other skills you will develop:
* Throws / takedowns / restraints
* Use of traditional and modern weapons
* Wilderness survival
* Meditation for awareness
* Emotional control and relaxation
Training will include developing skills in Taihenjutsu (Body Changing Skills) which include: falling, rolling, leaping, posture, and avoidance; Dakentaijutsu (Striking Weapons Body Technique) using the entire body as a striking tool / weapon.; and Jutaijutsu (Supple Body Techniques) locks, throws, chokes, as well as how to apply and escape from holds. In the early stages of training Kata is provided as an example of what can be done in a given application. However, as the practitioner progresses they are encouraged to explore the openings which naturally appear in peoples movements and apply spontaneous techniques based on the principles contained within the Kata.
This free flowing style is one of the most important aspects of Bujutsu training.Curriculum will include:
* Sanshin no Kata or five elements training
* Kihon Happo the eight basic techniques which are said to be the origin of all Budo
* TenChi Jin Ryaku no Maki heaven, earth and man techniques taken from all the various Ryu
* Weapons such as Hanbo, Jo, Rokushakubo (staffs of various lengths), Shuriken, Tanto, Kodachi, Ninjato, Katana, Tachi, Naginata, Yari (bladed weapons of various lengths), Kusarifundo, Nawa (ropes and chains).